Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't judge a book by it's cover...

So there is this lady around Drew's apartment complex that I don't like! She has two small dogs that she walks and a stray cat that follows her around. I only know that it is a stray cat because another neighbor...a nice neighbor...told me that she feeds it and that it is a stray and it just follows her around when she is walking her dogs. Funny isn't it? Anyway...off the subject. This woman just looks mean. When she sees you coming, she literally turns the other way...I am not kidding! I always thought she was just being antisocial or didn't like the look of us. But today, I realized that I was sorely mistaken.
Let me first start by saying that it was a beautiful day here in AZ...probably about 80 degrees when I picked up Motley and took him for a walk. We were laying in the grass, enjoying the sun, when Madame Snub came out with her two terriers and her cat...they were not on a leash. No big deal right? Well...Motley wasn't on the leash either, so he, of course decided to be the friendly pug that he is. He ran after the dogs, saw the cat...chased the cat....all while I am apologizing profusely. The lady (whose name I still do not know) politely said, "it's okay...I was more worried about my dogs being mean to yours." And with that, she and I proceeded to have an hour long conversation and I, thus learned that this woman was in fact, not mean and rude at all, but was worried about her dogs being mean and rude! So that's what I get for making assumptions about people!

AND--as a bonus, she put something in my head, without even thinking about it. See, my mom read my blog about Perfection earlier and being the sweet mother that she is, she emailed me and said something along the lines of, "You have thought about med. school and interior design and all of these other things, but have you ever considered being a writer?"--and a few other really nice things. Anyway, that got my brain thinking. Well...when I was talking to my new-found friend this afternoon, she was telling me about her daughter, who was an English major (like me), became an attorney (not like me) and decided that she wanted to do something more creative. So she quit her job and is now at USC (yuck-Trojans) for a Masters in Screenwriting. Just weird that here I am, thinking about a new possibility and this woman, who I am speaking to completely out of the blue tells me this! Very weird.

Then, I spent the rest of the afternoon researching writing jobs....is this possibly something that I am interested in? We shall see I suppose!

2 comments:

Dawn. said...

Hmm...very interesting. Go for it Erin. You have to follow your dreams...whatever they may be!! :)

jeniffercox said...

There's tons of different kinds of jobs in publishing too! I'm still on a list where I get opportunities. I'll start forwarding to them if you want! Hooray for new friends and new opportunities!